- WE HAVE MOVED!: http://wp.me/pY2Vw-21 6 years ago
- #newham #olympics #london2012 The 100-metre high oddity to mark the 'entrance' to East London: http://wp.me/pY2Vw-1X 6 years ago
- BBC News - How to stage the Olympics on a shoestring: http://wp.me/pY2Vw-1U 6 years ago
- BBC - CBBC Programmes - My Life, The Young Mayor of Newham: http://wp.me/pY2Vw-1Q 6 years ago
- #olympics #london2012 ArcelorMittal Orbit tower gets the thumbs up from #Newham Council: http://wp.me/pY2Vw-1M 6 years ago
Look at it. Just… look at it.
This is the London Gate. It’s 100-metres tall and has some sort of bizarre glass elevator attached to it.
Until I’d seen it had been posted on Londonist, I was almost sure this was a wind up.
They’ve described it as a set of giant goalposts – goalposts which will sit at the beginning of High Street 2012 – the name given to the road which runs from the City straight through to Romford.
Intriguing stuff, and for those of us who think it looks a bit daft, there is one saving grace: it’s only temporary.
But then again – they said that about the Eiffel Tower.
Calling the ArcelorMittal Orbit controversial would be describing a pint in Covent Garden as ‘pricey’. In other words, a bit of an understatement.
For what it’s worth, I like it. And so too do Newham Council who today decided they would back the plans for the 114-metre high structure.
It looks a bit like a vuvuzela being strangled if you ask me…